Thursday, May 11, 2017

Weekly Writing Prompt

Today's Prompt: There was a strange wailing sound coming from the next room.

The day started out like any other. I was perched on the edge of my bed brushing my caramel colored hair. It was early morning and I was still wearing my nightgown. The town was just waking up, but I was up early. We had a lot of preparing to do today. At dawn tomorrow morning, the new sorcerer of Fareya would be named. My entire childhood I dreamed of the day I would be eligible, hoping it would be me. I still fantasize sometimes, but it could never be me. The sorcerer must be the rightful heir, and I am just a simple village girl. There I go again letting my fantasies get the best of me. I continued to brush my hair to get it as silky as possible for easy styling when I hear the ear piercing wail from the next room. I knew at once what it was.

A banshee.

And the room next to mine was...Gin's room.

Oh no, I thought, Gin please be okay. I quickly ran into Gin's room armed with just my hairbrush. When I enter I didn't see a banshee. Instead, I saw Gin leaning out her window. She let out another banshee scream as I ran next to her. Some horrid green creature around two feet tall was running away from her window. I cupped my hand around my mouth and let out the highest pitched scream I could manage. Finally, the creature was out of sight.

"What was that thing?" Gin asked, her voice sounding a little shaky. I shrugged.

"How should I know. It was in your room." I responded. "What I want to know is how you knew how to get rid of it?"

"I...I guess I just knew Gemma." She said.

I launched into a tight hug.

"Well, as long as your okay," I said. Gin was my best friend, and she had been since I found her on the streets six years ago. She was just a little shorter than I was and just a little paler. While my hair was caramel hers was more of a chocolaty brown. What we did have in common were our eyes. We shared the same light blue eyes, mine had a golden ring around the pupil, and hers was gray. Even though we looked quite different, my parents called us to peas in a pod.

But something felt different today, and when we pulled away from each other I knew. Gin now stood at my height, maybe even taller. She was a little paler than usual and her eyes had turned from light to a dip endless blue with her pupils lined in silver.

"What?" she asked when she saw me looking at her strangely.

"Nothing," I said. "Now come on and get ready." I forced a smile.

I didn't know it then but I missed the most obvious signs that our lives were about to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment